Monday, December 6, 2010

Brother Sewing Machine - Zigzag Stitch Issue SOLVED!

I never posted my recent sewing issue, however, I did spend WAY too much time trying to find the answer on the internet.  Luckily, I was able to find an answer, but I can't remember where, so I thought I'd share it here in case anyone else has the same problem.

 I was trying to make a Christmas stocking, (a major pain in the butt project, as posted earlier), and the zigzag stitch on my Brother CS-6000i sewing machine was not working.  Not unusual for this POS machine. Specifically, the right side of the zigzag would not pick up the bobbin thread, so I ended up with a straight line.  

I found a few people out there online who had the same issue and the responses were mostly related to changing the needle, changing the bobbin, changing the tension...the usual.  Anyway, I happened to find one brilliant response that mentioned that only Schmetz needles seem to work on her Brother.  Desperate, I switched out my cheapy-cheap needle for a Schmetz (I can't actually believe I had some) and my zigzag nightmares were over...almost.  I still had a lot of problems with the tension.  It's always something with that machine!  Arrgghhh!

6 comments:

  1. I came across your post because I, too, have been doing a search to figure out why my zig zag stitch is not working on my Brother CS-6000i sewing machine. I think my problem is the tension, but I've been playing around with it and can't seem to make it work.

    The machine is pretty new (a few months), still has original needle in it. Now, for the problem... The zig zag stitch comes out perfectly (in the lower thread color) on the WRONG side of the fabric.

    I am pretty new to sewing so it is likely possible that I am overlooking something basic, but if you have any suggestions, I'd be extremely grateful!!

    -- Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paula, I hoe you get my response. That sounds like the exact same issue I was having. Yes, the zig-zag is perfect on the underside. I'm no sewing expert, but switching to the Schmetz needle solved my problem. I don't know what brand originally came with your machine, but you may want to go to your local sewing supply store and getting some Schmetz brand needles to try. I hope your issue gets resolved. Ther's nothing more frustrating than sitting down to start a project and having your machine go berzerk! I'd love to hear how it works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, one more thing: make sure your thread spool spindle (not sure if that's the correct term, but it's the little pole that holds the thread spool) is ALL THE WAY UP. One time I was having a lot of trouble with tension and realized this spindle had been pushed down. I think it retracts to fit under the case. Took me way too long to figure that little glitch out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your response! I was getting really concerned because I went back to try doing a straight stitch and the tension was STILL off! I pretty much had to have it at 0 for it to look relatively decent.

    I didn't get a new needle yet, but I will definitely make note of the Schetz needle for the future.

    Turns out my spindle was DOWN (didn't know it did that either!)! I just pushed it up and tried the zig zag stitch again and it was perfect! So excited- thanks!

    - Paula

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! So glad I could help! Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Schmetz! It worked! I had to laugh because I didn't think the needles I had in a little pile from my mum's stash would have been the same brand but they are and it is stitching fine in zigzag now. Thank you so much for posting how you fixed it.

    ReplyDelete